Robert GOINS / Margaret 'Peggy' NEWTON
Husband: Robert GOINS (Ancestor Chart, Descendant Chart)
Died: 1815 in:
Buried: Hull Graveyard
Father: Alexander GOINS
Mother: Jane BOOTH
Wife: Margaret 'Peggy' NEWTON (Ancestor Chart, Descendant Chart)
Born: 19 OCT 1789 in:
Father: Benjamin NEWTON
Mother: Nancy MCCALL
1 Name: Patsy GOINS
F Born: in:
Spouse: Charles QUEEN
2 Name: Jane GOINS
F Born: in:
Spouse: John AIKENS
3 Name: Nancy GOINS
F Born: ABT 1808 in:
Died: 20 NOV 1889 in: Cleveland County, NC
Married: 1832 in:
Spouse: Stephen WHITE
4 Name: Alfred Newton GOINS
M Born: in:
Married: 20 MAY 1854 in: Cleveland County, NC
Spouse: Martha W. JONES
- Posey Down's book2
lists Robert Goins as the son of Alexander and Jane Booth Goins.
And it indicates he married Peggy (Margaret) Newton who was the daughter of
Benjamin Newton and Nancy McCall.
The children of Robert Goins and Peggy (Margaret) Newton are listed as
- Patsey Goins married Charlie Queen.
- Jane Goins married John Aiken.
- Nancy Goins married Stephen White.
- Alfred Newton Goins married Martha Jones on May 20, 1854.
- The Revolutionary War pension application of Benjamin Newton includes a statement dated 3 March 1852 and signed by Ebenezer Newton, George Newton, and
Mrs. Margaret Goins. The statement identifies Margaret Goins as a daughter of Benjamin and Nancy Newton. The statement is notarized by
Alfred N. Goins (son of Margaret Goins and a Justice of Peace in Cleveland County, NC). The pension application also includes a Bible record
indicating "Peggy Newton was born the 19th of October in the year 1789 on monday morning at sunrise".
- The Fall 2016 issue of the Bulletin of the Genealogical Society of Old Tryon Couty1
includes extensive information about the Robert Goins family provided in a 1906 account by their great-grandson Patterson Lorenzo Newton. The following is
a summary of some of the points from Newton's account:
- Robert Goins was the son of Alexandar and Jane Goins.
- Robert Goins had brothers John Goins and Daniel Goins (Daniel married Nancy Newton, daughter of Captain Ben Newton).
- Robert Goins married Peggy Newton, daughter of Captain Ben Newton.
- Robert Goins elisted at Morganton, NC and served in the War of 1812.
- Robert Goins settled on his father's farm.
- Robert Goins and Peggy Newton had 4 children:
- Patsy Goins married Charles Queen, moved to McDowell County where she resided for many years,
died at the age of 96 years, left a long line of descendants, and was buried at Clover Hill.
- Jane Goins married John Aikens, settled on a small farm on the waters of Knob Creek, and
left no children.
- Nancy Goins married Stephen White in 1832, died in 1889, left a long line of descendants,
and was buried at Clover Hill.
- A[lfred] Newton Goins married Martha Jones (daughter of Dr. G. B. Jones), worked as a surveyor
in upper Cleveland County for many years, died in the year 1901 at the age of 86 years,
leaving many descendants, and was buried at Clover Hill.
- Robert Goins died in 1815 and was buried in the "Hull Graveyard".
- Census Information:
- The 1850 U.S.Census from Cleveland County, NC lists Margaret Gowen, female, age 55, born in NC, as head of household 1395 with Jane
(age 35), Albert N. (age 30), and William C. (age 13). Her daughter Nancy White (age 42) and family are listed in the adjacent household 1394.
- The 1860 U.S Census from Cleveland County, NC lists Margaret Goins, female, age 70, born in NC, as the only person in household 752.
Her son A. N. Goins (age 46) and family is listed in the adjacent household 751. Her daughter Nancy White (age 50) and family are listed
in household 748.
- Marriage Bond:
- Robard Goans, Pegah Newton, 3 March 1808, Rutherford County, North Carolina. Source: "North Carolina Marriages, 1759-1979." Database.
FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 February 2020. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City."
- Check p.76 of the May 2005 issue of the Bulletin of the Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County
for a reference to "Robt Going" (he is mentioned there per the index published at http://oldtryon.com).
- "Abstracts from a 1906 Defense of the Heritage of Patterson Lorenzo Newton", Bulletin of The Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County, Forest City, NC. Fall 2016, p.136-141. [ p.137: Contains extensive information on the family of Robert Goins. Served in War of 1812. Married Peggy Newton, daughter of Capt. Ben Newton. Children Patsy, Jane, Nancy, and Alfred Newton Goins. Died in 1815 and buried in Hull Graveyard. ]
- Downs, Posey E. The Captain Benjamin Newton - William Downs and Other Lineage History. Salemburg, NC: Privately Printed. 1954. 374 pages. [ p.134-152: Contains an extensive listing of the descendants of Robert Goins and Margaret Peggy Newton. ]